When I started this blog, I knew there were a couple of milestones I wanted to hit before I turned 30: (1) Finish my novel. (2) Submit my writing to someone… anyone. (3) The most important of all, visit Harry Potter World.
I know what you’re thinking, I have them out of order. Clearly visiting Harry Potter World should be at the top of the list. And you, my friend, are right.
Pretty sure I can give up on my other goals now.
Because nothing compares to being in the middle of a scene out of Harry Potter, skipping around with a Butterbeer in hand as you bramble up to Stan from the Night Bus. Or try to avoid the scary stares of the goblins at Gringotts Bank as you wait in line to ride on a dragon. A dragon.
I don’t think life gets any better than that.
If you plan on visiting Harry and his friends, here are a couple of things I recommend:
- Buy a park-to-park ticket. Yes, it will cost you a small fortune, but it is worth it, particularly if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express.
- Look for after 2pm and after 5pm discounts. Your wallet will thank me.
- If you want to activate “magic” in the park, buy a wand, or better yet, follow someone around who bought a wand. That’s what I did. Pretty sure that little boy who yelled, “Get your own, weirdo!” wasn’t directing his comment at me.
- Ride the rides. I recommend the Gringotts Bank rollercoaster.
- Stay until nightfall. We were at Diagon Alley at night and it was amazing to see the glow of streetlamps and lighted windows over the square. Trust me on this one.
- Never fear there is Butterbeer for the little ones and real beer for the, uh, big ones.
- If you download the Universal Studios app, you can check ride wait times on your phone. Consider your smartphone your new magical best friend.
Ahh, the joy of Harry Potter World. Still smiling from the visit. I hope that someday, you too, complete your greatest accomplishment.
Oh, and as to my other goals, consider Florida checked off the “The 50 Gold Stars Project” list. Really need to work on that name.
If you have the pleasure of visiting Harry Potter World, tell my new bff Stan I said, “What’s up”.
Top photo by Troy Jarrell.